View Single Post
Old 06-15-2006, 09:54 PM   #1
Manna00
Pinchin' pennies 'til they scream
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
My first Pediatriction "interview"

Okay.. so tonight's birthing class (yeah.. we're almost done!) was a local peditriction coming in to talk to us and basically have a group interview with him about his practice.

For the record--I feel like (due to DS,thanks mamas) I really am educated about some of the biggies (Circumcising being the biggest issue, with us having a boy).. so I was thinking "okay.. I'll just ask him his view.. no problems..."

Whoa. Problems. And this isn't a pro/con circumcision debate... we've had plenty of those. This is more or less a lisenced pediatrition giving rotten/scewed information to new mamas.

So.. first off.. I should have known... the man brought a corosel of slides that was boxed in a broken down cardboard box. Slides. Not powerpoint slides... but slides. Not that there's anything WRONG with slides... I just like to see my medical professionals a little more "on the ball" technology wise. And the slides were SOOO dated.

And finally he says "Well. Any of you having a boy?" And of course, I raised my hand along with one other mama who's only about 30 weeks along. So.. he then warns the class... "I've got a few slides of a typical circumcision". Groan from all the men... and myself.

And wouldn't you know... the three slides he had of a little boy being circumcised were of a baby SLEEPING through the entire procedure. Sleeping. When the other "boy mama" asked if that was typical.. he said "Yes. It is." I mean.. I'm sure it happens every now and again.. but TYPICAL?? Shaaaa buddy. I'm thinking: not. Then she asked "Well.. what about the pain"... and he said "Oh, they hardly feel a thing! See, this baby didn't even wake up!". Talk about propaganda. He didn't even have a slide of the baby awake for the circumciscion or even another baby crying at all. Just the one sleeping baby was his only example of how a circumcision goes. Apparently having a choice about circ'ing or not hadn't even occured to the other "boy mama" because she said "Well.. I just never thought about it.. we're just going to have it done. Is there any reason we shouldn't?".... and good ol' Dr. Out-of-Date said " No. There's no reason you shouldn't. Most boys are circ'd... so when he gets to 7th grade and is changing in the locker room if you don't circ' him there will probably be only one or two boys that arn't. It's a hard social thing for boys." Umm. Hello. I always thought that the whole "locker room" argument was out of date. And besides... if my son is running around showing his peepee off to the other boys, then honey... we've got bigger things to deal with!
I had also heard that nowdays in the USA it's more like 50/50 for circ/intact. In his favor.. he DID mention that there's a TINY chance of regrowth with circ'd boys so they might have to have it redone. But he said "the chances of that are minimal so we don't like to talk about it." Yeah. I'm sure, dude.

He was okay with extended breastfeeding though and Dr. Even Steven with cloth diapering (he wouldnt' give me a "Sure, that's great" or a "No! Don't do that ever!" answer). But, oi with the shoveling out out of date information about circumcision!

I'm not sure if you can tell.. but we are planning on not circumcising our baby. My husband is. My brothers are. IN fact, every man I've ever known (well.. DH is the only man I've known.. in the Biblical sence) has been circ'd. But we are choosing not to. Even if we had decieded on circumcising our baby... I would feel completely misinformed about the information he gave me. I talked to the other "boy mama" after class and told her to look online for more information. I simply told her that I had done a lot of research and come to my own conclusion as a parent and that I thought that the information given by the Doc. was not enough really. She just smiled and nodded at the crazy mom. Oh well. It's her choice.

I just HAD to share this exciting evening with some folks that might "appreciate" hearing all of this. Let's just say... he seems like a nice enough peditricion.. but I'll wait to here a baby doctor NOT bring up the locker room theory before choosing them for my son.

Last edited by Manna00; 06-15-2006 at 09:58 PM.
Manna00 is offline   Reply With Quote