View Single Post
Old 07-14-2010, 01:28 PM   #12
Meighan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Chicken!

Chicken ideas:
Fajitas, Chicken parmesan (you can buy some frozen cooked squash and mix it into tomato sauce to trick the kids into getting some good veggies that way!), chicken salad for sandwiches or over greens, curried chicken with potatoes and peas, and my favorite chicken soup. Here's my recipe for chicken soup:

1 or 2 lbs (app 3 chicken breasts) thawed, trimmed, and cut into 1 inch cubes
1 large onion or 3 large shallots fine diced
2 stalks of celery
handful of baby carrots
1 large yukon gold potato cut into 2 inch cubes (skin on or off, but I usually just leave it on)
2 TBS Herbs de Provence (if you don't have this, you may consider buying it--it's delicious on fish and chicken or you can alternatively just use 1 tbs of thyme, 1 tsp savory, 1tsb of rosemary and a pinch of lavender)
2 Tbs butter
1 Tbs kosher salt
2 Tsp cracked black pepper
1 Tbs olive oil
Chicken stock

In a large pot melt the butter together with the olive oil over med high heat. Toss in herbs and saute for 1 or 2 minutes. Put in salt, pepper, chicken and shallots or onions and cook until browned on outside (maybe 5 minutes). Throw in celery, carrots, and potatos and cook an additional 3 minutes. Cover the mixture with chicken broth--you should use enough to cover all ingredients plus about an inch or two. Cover pot, simmer for app 1 hour.

All these measurements are estimates, because I don't measure when I cook. They can be altered to your taste.

Also, this recipe freezes amazingly well, just put into individual portions.
Enjoy!
Meighan is offline   Reply With Quote