Old 07-19-2010, 10:53 AM   #26
The Fancy Pansy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Gluten Free Mamas, UNITE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2twins View Post
Should I try to find out about getting a "diagnosis" and, if so, how do I go about that? Or would you just recommend that I try a gluten-free diet on my own? If I just dive in, how long does it usually take before you notice if "it's working"? Any recommendation on where/how to start???

I am so SICK of feeling SICK! I don't know why, but I just have a feeling that this is what it is, especially when I read that it can be "brought on" by stress and pregnancy (when otherwise "dormant"). When I read your story, a lot of what you described sounds so familiar! Thank you for replying!
Well, I'm personally a little skeptical of the diagnosis process, but probably the best way to go is to look into a diagnosis, and if it doesn't come back positive, try going GF for a while and see if it helps.

Diagnosis is usually done first by taking a blood screening, which can be terribly unreliable. Then they do an upper esophageal endoscopy (a gastroenterologist takes a sample of the esophagus to look for damaged villi). That's supposed to be done twice, but they can still miss a damaged portion even then.

Most people notice a difference within a few weeks of going GF, and a huge turn around after about 3 months. (It takes about 3 months for the villi to completely grow back). Most people do well at first avoiding dairy as well, since the enzyme that digests lactose is formed at the tip of the villi, and is the first thing to go when the villi are damaged (that's why there's such a link between gluten intolerance and lactose intolerance).