View Single Post
Old 07-20-2010, 07:14 PM   #8
ktkates
Registered Users

Re: Is my almost 12 month old weaning? What can I supplement with?

I don't post in here often, but I feel like I was in your exact position a few months ago! My supply was so low by 10 months that I felt like we were just limping across the 1-year line. I did everything I could to make it to a year, and then I just relaxed on the feedings that were so stressful to both of us! My DD still loves nursing first thing in the morning (when I have a better supply) and after some naps, but I don't feel the need to make feedings happen later in the day if we're running around or if she'd rather play. My goal was to make it through a year of breastmilk being most of her nutrition, and now that she's there, I think of it as a supplement/snuggle time/vitamin/immunity booster for her every day. If she's excited to eat, awesome! But if a feeding is stressing either of us out, we just don't do it!

It's actually really freeing...I really struggled for those last few months of the year, and now I'm loving it again! It's still our close, special time every morning, but we don't spend our evenings with both of us in tears anymore.

She does really like solid food, so I don't have to worry much about whether she's getting enough. We went through Failure to Thrive issues around 6-8 months because my supply was all over the place, so I thought I would be more concerned about cutting back feedings, but she's really made up for it with eating more other foods. I started offering cow's milk in a sippy a few weeks after her birthday (when I got around to it...) and it took her a bit to start drinking much. She has 20ish oz a day now though, so I figure she just adjusts to what she needs!

Good luck with figuring out what works! I'm glad we made it through the year of really focusing on getting most of her food from me, but I'm also really glad that those days of stress are over and we can just enjoy it now for as long as it's still working for both of us. Let me know if you have any other questions! I hope it works out great for you!
Rock Climbing, Hiking, Skiing, Outdoor mama!
ktkates is offline   Reply With Quote