View Single Post
Old 07-26-2010, 09:13 AM   #71
rdolphingirl
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Gluten Free Mamas, UNITE!

Ok ... I'm coming out of lurkdom ... I read a lot on this forum .. but rarely post ..

I have a ds (now 6) who has had all kinds of issues from the beginning of his little life.
He had lots of what I know now are digestive issues as a baby, and respiratory problems as well (bad case of RSV at 4mths despite being totally breastfed). He was also a "failure to thrive" baby. Without knowing about all the possible dietary issues, I tried him on a diet that was about 1/2 yogurt mixed with either V-8, or once in awhile fruit juices, and just a few jars of baby food. He did MUCH better on this (knowing what I do now it makes sense!) That was when he was about 16-18mths old. He also had some major developmental delays (didn't crawl til about 17mth, or walk til 24mths, and had to have therapy to do so!). As he got older we noticed more and more his tummy looked bloated often. He also has had constipation issues since he was tiny. Around 2 or 3 he started complaining about joint pain! He was tested for a few things, even took him to the genetics dept. of our Children's Hospital and they could not figure him out.

I finally gave up, and just ignored his differences for the most part.

Well, fast forward to this year ... my mother has been doing a lot of research on some issues she has, and found that she is gluten sensitive (self-diagnosed) so the thought crossed my radar so to speak, however it didn't really hit me until my sister came across a list of celiac symptoms while doing some research on other things. She thought it fit my son so sent it to me ... and reading that list was VERY eye opening to me! I hadn't known before that just how many other things can be caused (despite trying to eat "healthy" for several years now) by improper digestion!!

I pulled gluten out of his diet slowly over the next couple weeks and was amazed at the change in him even just reducing the gluten. He has now been nearly 100% gluten free for a couple weeks and is doing much better. His tummy looks much more normal, hes not complained about joint pain but once or twice (was daily), and tummy ache complaints all but disappeared as well.

I have enjoyed reading this thread, and learning how to bake/cook without gluten.

Right now the rest the house has still been eating foods with gluten, however I've begun to wonder if it might be better for us all to just go GF with ds. So am slowly getting it all out of the house and aiming for GF whole house by the end of the summer at the latest.

Thanks!!
~Rachel
rdolphingirl is offline   Reply With Quote