View Single Post
Old 07-29-2010, 09:59 PM   #27
KWinMT
Registered Users
seller

Re: Anyone else make their own "convenience" food and freeze it?

I love to make our own poptarts - I usually double or triple the recipe so the dough rolling is worth my time. I bake them, freeze them and then pop them in the toaster oven when we need a quick breakfast. I usually use whole wheat flour, add a little milled flax to the dough (sometimes in place of some of the fat) and use a no sugar added jam - super yummy!!

Poptarts
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 cup Crisco - I tried once using Canola oil and I just used less and it turned out fine
3 tbsp. cold water

1/4 cup jam (your favorite)

1/2 cup powdered sugar
2 teaspoons water

Mix the flour, salt, sugar, and shortening together until the mixture is "sandy". Gradually add the water and stir, until a pliable dough forms. Don't be afraid to use your hands!

Roll out the dough, and cut it into rectangles of your desired size. Think of each rectangle as an open book. Add 2 teaspoons of jam to each rectangle, and folded it in half (closing the book). Press the edges together. Use the fork to poke a few holes in the poptart shell.

I baked them for 12 minutes at 450F. Mix powdered sugar with a little bit of water gradually until it is icing consistency (you can add a few drops of flavored extract if you'd like) and frost the poptarts.

I got this recipe from www.hellagranola.blogspot.com
KWinMT is offline   Reply With Quote