Re: "Alternative" cake for a 1-year-old's b-day?
For my LO's 1st birthday I am making her "cake" with a fruit juice sweetened pumpkin bread recipe and making fresh organic whipped cream for the "icing". On the first birthday it is all about the photo-op! We are using one of those giant cupcake pans. Its going to be so cute!
My sis and I made this recipe up:
* 2 cups flour ( whole wheat, oat bran, whatever you like)
* 1 teaspoon cinnamon
* 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
* 1 teaspoon baking soda
* 1 teaspoon baking powder
* 1 cup canned pumpkin puree
* 1 (6 ounce) frozen apple juice concentrate, thawed (reserve 1 tbsp. for filling)
* 2 eggs, beaten (or 2 equivalent egg substitute)
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
350 for 25-50 min depending on what kind of pan.