View Single Post
Old 08-28-2010, 09:21 PM   #15
3rockstars
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
seller

Re: Introduce your Preemie(s)!

I have a full-term 40w daughter who is now 10 born weighing 6lbs 5oz. She was my biggest baby.
My middle daughter was a 34w baby born due to PPROM weighing 5lbs 3oz and spent 2 weeks in the nicu basically learning suck-swallow-breathe. She had some pretty significant A's and B's that didn't resolve until about 5 months old so we were the proud users of an apnea monitor until 6 months old. She was discharged from the NICU at 2 weeks old and back in at 5 weeks old due to RSV. We stayed 5 days in the PICU due to that. Otherwise she's a healthy 5 year old who's starting kindergarten in a few days.
My youngest daughter was a 33w baby born due to PPROM as well weighing 4lbs 12oz. She also spent 2 weeks in the nicu just to put on a little weight and learn to regulate body temp. She had no breathing issues at birth but she's 2 1/2 now with some pretty significant asthma with illness triggers. She's had a rough go of it until this past January(her second birthday) when she was officially diagnosed and put on maintenance meds and she's doing fabulous. My hope is that this winter we'll avoid the ER all together but given last year's track record and the year before, that's a tall order. We usually frequent the ER about 2 times per month with either pneumonia, bronchiolitis, or croup that are not responding to albuterol. But I'm hoping that with preventative maintenance meds on board this winter, we'll be able to manage her asthma with albuterol and prednisone at home and just see our lovely pedi frequently.