View Single Post
Old 08-31-2010, 09:49 PM   #27
graysonandmommy's Avatar
Registered Users
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Tacoma, WA, USA
Posts: 127
Re: Introduce your Preemie(s)!

Grayson was born at 36 weeks 0 days. Not so early but early enough for a NICU stay. I was diagnosed with pre-eclampsia at 34 weeks. For the next few weeks I was put on bedrest and closely monitored. At 35 weeks 6 days I went in for another nst but they decided that my pre-clampsia was now severe and I had to go to the hospital immedietely for induction. My family practice doctor told me at the start of the appointment that his goal was to make it to 37 weeks. He went to consult with the ob he worked with on the phone and I called my husband at work with the news while waiting. Then the doctor came back and said the ob wanted me induced that day.

So I had to call my husband again and tell him we were going to be having a baby by tomorrow. I was not allowed to drive due to how ill I was so my mom who had taken me to the appointment took me to the hospital. I had no hospital bag or anything and was told not to go home and get it because I needed hospitalized asap. I checked in the hospital with a purse that contained my cell phone, my wallet and a sudoku book and pen. That was it. I also had a sweater on.

I was put in a room at the hospital and given cervodil which hurt so much. My mom waited with me because she did not want me to be alone. I was a 34 week preemie and she had delivered me by herself because the army hospital had told her parents and her mother in law (who was her birth coach since my dad was in basic training for the army) to go home and rest since I wasn't going to be born any time soon. I was born an hour later to my mom who was a first time mommy with no one there to support her so she was not going to leave until my husband came just in case they decided to do an emergency c-section.

My husband arrived a few hours later and stayed overnight with me. I was given a second dose of cervodil at midnight and a third at noon the next day but I did not dilate past 2 cm after 24 hours of cervodiil. At 2 pm I was given an epidural so they could start me on pitocin which caused me to contract really well but I never dilated. I never even felt contractions. By 4 pm the doctors had decided I was not going to dilate anymore and i was too sick to wait anymore so they would have to do a c-section. My mom and dad were at the hospital again by then but only my husband could come to the or with me.

Of the c-section and delivery I remember very little. I was very ill and the magnesium for my blood pressure made me groggy. I threw up several times on the table which was horrible. The bright lights in the or made me sleepy and I began dosing off. DH says they kept giving me morphine every time I showed any pain. When Grayson was born and they had done the initial cleaning him and wrapping him in a blankie, my husband held him up for me to see but I was so drugged at that point that I did not recognize him nor register that he was holding a baby in his arms. My mind did not start to clear until I was in the recovery room and my husband began telling me all about our baby. He weighed 5 lbs 2 oz which was much smaller than the doctor had expected. The doctor said the baby had IUGR and had stopped growing due to my preeclampsia and he also had a small hole in his heart due to stress which we were told would close with time.

I was taken from recovery to the NICU to see my baby and I just remember thinking he was the most beautiful baby I had ever seen although looking back at his pictures now he is 100 times cuter today. Grayson spent 1 week in the NICU mainly due to him falling asleep when being fed and not taking a whole feeding. He had a gavage tube but he could not go home until he was eating from breast or bottle on his own and not needing a tube.

He was on similac neosure for his first 2 months before he was put on regular formula. Now he just loves to eat. At 4 months he was 14 pounds and 50th percentile. At nearly 6 months he gobbles down cereal and purees. Hard to believe this is a baby who would sleep when being fed as a newborn. He seems to be hitting most milestones normally although I feel bad every time a mom in his baby center group says their baby is crawling or sitting unassisted already. He's happy and loveable and average sized which is fine with me.
working mom to Grayson (3/10/2010)

MC 9w5d 8/25/15

#2 on the way 8/15/16
graysonandmommy is offline   Reply With Quote