View Single Post
Old 09-09-2010, 01:31 PM   #130
Registered Users
Formerly: bren***this
My Mood:
Re: The "~$5 Meal Ideas~" thread...

Mexican Lasagna--or as 4.5 yo DS calls it, "Taco Cake"
Its a bit over $5 if you buy the corn tortillas and taco seasoning, but if you can make them, its under $5...I get the tortillas on WIC here and make my own taco seasoning...recipe for it is my next post
1-16 oz. package small yellow corn tortillas, usually 24 to a pack-$1.25
2 lbs ground turkey-$2.20
2 packets taco seasoning$1
1 jar salsa-$1.25 I use mild, but you can use spicier if you want. You can also use canned diced tomatoes & green chiles for a lower price.
1 lb. shredded cheddar or mexican cheese-$1.29
1 can refried beans-$.59
I'm thinking black beans would be good in this too, but DH and DS wont' touch them so I haven't got to try them Lettuce & sour cream to garnish if desired...its good without them & I'm not including them in the price.

Cook ground turkey/ground beef with taco seasoning as directed. Spray 13x9 pan with nonstick spray, slice tortillas in half and line bottom of pan with tortillas--I put 3 halves on each long side with the straight edges against the side of the pan, two halves on each short side, and line up 4 halves across the center. Spread some of the refried beans across the tortillas, then layer ground turkey/beef, a few spoonfuls of salsa, and a thin layer of cheese. Repeat layers with tortillas, beans, meat, salsa, cheese, tortillas, and remaining cheese. Bake at 350 for 20-30 minutes or until cheese is melted. Garnish with lettuce, sour cream, and more salsa if desired.
Brenna, all around AP'ing, trying to be crunchier, stay at home mama to Ash, Bryn, and our little Rebel Journey, wife to Nate
Come swag with me!! I've earned $75 in FREE Amazon gift cards just by searching

Last edited by smashncakes; 09-09-2010 at 01:36 PM.
smashncakes is offline   Reply With Quote