smashncakes
Registered Users
Formerly: bren***this
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: The "~$5 Meal Ideas~" thread...

Mexican Lasagna--or as 4.5 yo DS calls it, "Taco Cake"
Its a bit over $5 if you buy the corn tortillas and taco seasoning, but if you can make them, its under $5...I get the tortillas on WIC here and make my own taco seasoning...recipe for it is my next post
1-16 oz. package small yellow corn tortillas, usually 24 to a pack-$1.25
2 lbs ground turkey-$2.20
2 packets taco seasoning$1
1 jar salsa-$1.25 I use mild, but you can use spicier if you want. You can also use canned diced tomatoes & green chiles for a lower price.
1 lb. shredded cheddar or mexican cheese-$1.29
1 can refried beans-$.59
I'm thinking black beans would be good in this too, but DH and DS wont' touch them so I haven't got to try them Lettuce & sour cream to garnish if desired...its good without them & I'm not including them in the price.

Cook ground turkey/ground beef with taco seasoning as directed. Spray 13x9 pan with nonstick spray, slice tortillas in half and line bottom of pan with tortillas--I put 3 halves on each long side with the straight edges against the side of the pan, two halves on each short side, and line up 4 halves across the center. Spread some of the refried beans across the tortillas, then layer ground turkey/beef, a few spoonfuls of salsa, and a thin layer of cheese. Repeat layers with tortillas, beans, meat, salsa, cheese, tortillas, and remaining cheese. Bake at 350 for 20-30 minutes or until cheese is melted. Garnish with lettuce, sour cream, and more salsa if desired.

Last edited by smashncakes; 09-09-2010 at 12:36 PM.
smashncakes is offline   Reply With Quote