View Single Post
Old 10-25-2010, 12:07 PM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
NOt a premie but a 7 day NICU baby

Please let me know if this isn't the correct place for this.

DS was born at 40w3d. About 2 hours after he was born he had to be transferred by ambulance to the closest NICU because his O2 sats were 60%. He somehow aspirated so much amniotic fluid that you couldn't even see his heart on the first few x-rays. He was on a vent for 2.5 days. Then Vapotherm by nasal can. for another 3 days. He had an ng tube for 5 of the 7 days. I know his stay is nothing compared to what you mamas go through.

He's been home for 3 months now and I just can't seem to shake/totally process what happened to him. When he was in the NICU, I felt like I was living someone else's life. I didn't really understand just how sick he was and how bad his initial prognosis was until the last 2 days we were there. They really didn't expect the vent to work and thought he would have to be on a heart-lung machine for at least 2 weeks.

Lately I can't sit through a church service or sleep at night without crying. The weight of what could have happened to him just weighs so heavily on my mind. I constantly have what-ifs. Is this normal? I don't have any friends who have had babies in the NICU. Thanks for reading!
Special Ed teacher and grad student
wife to Allan, mama to Dante and Paul Daniel
Forever missing Yuen Tien (12-9-11)
The LORD has done great things for us, and we are filled with joy. Psalm 126:3
missykay is offline   Reply With Quote