View Single Post
Old 10-25-2010, 11:07 AM   #1
missykay
Registered Users

My Mood:
NOt a premie but a 7 day NICU baby

Please let me know if this isn't the correct place for this.

DS was born at 40w3d. About 2 hours after he was born he had to be transferred by ambulance to the closest NICU because his O2 sats were 60%. He somehow aspirated so much amniotic fluid that you couldn't even see his heart on the first few x-rays. He was on a vent for 2.5 days. Then Vapotherm by nasal can. for another 3 days. He had an ng tube for 5 of the 7 days. I know his stay is nothing compared to what you mamas go through.

He's been home for 3 months now and I just can't seem to shake/totally process what happened to him. When he was in the NICU, I felt like I was living someone else's life. I didn't really understand just how sick he was and how bad his initial prognosis was until the last 2 days we were there. They really didn't expect the vent to work and thought he would have to be on a heart-lung machine for at least 2 weeks.

Lately I can't sit through a church service or sleep at night without crying. The weight of what could have happened to him just weighs so heavily on my mind. I constantly have what-ifs. Is this normal? I don't have any friends who have had babies in the NICU. Thanks for reading!
Forever missing Yuen Tien (12-9-11)
The LORD has done great things for us, and we are filled with joy. Psalm 126:3
missykay is offline   Reply With Quote