View Single Post
Old 10-26-2010, 12:18 PM   #5
mommy2abigail
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: "but HOW did daddy put the baby in your tummy?"

When my 5 year old asked that, I was pretty honest with her. Then again, she's seen both of her sisters born at home, so 'private parts' aren't a big deal around here. I told her that daddies have sperm in their testes and they put it into the mommies and it swims to meet an egg and they go into the uterus where the baby grows. I think I even got a picture book that showed a (drawing of) penis inside the vagina and the sperm swimming out. It was geared to children, but I can't remember what it was called. It was about different systems of the body, nervous, reproductive, skeleton, muscular, ect. I didn't want to tell her a lie or mistruth about it, while at the same time keeping in mind how old she was and how much information she was able to handle and how much information she actually wanted anyway. I don't want her to think the body or reproducing or having babies is gross or dirty, so we treat it as a beautiful thing. We use the real terms for everything, we are honest and open with her and so far, she isn't ruined or anything, in fact, she views birth, menstruating, breastfeeding, ect. all as God intended them to be, natural and normal.

If you aren't comfortable going that far, you could resort to my trick for getting around answering those questions...you could turn it around and ask what they think. Sometimes it gives you a bit of time to decide just how to answer, and sometimes it distracts them enough that they forget they asked you first!
mommy2abigail is offline   Reply With Quote