View Single Post
Old 11-06-2010, 04:51 PM   #12
RebekahG77
Registered Users
seller

Re: pinto bean thread spin off

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberP View Post
My family (from california) makes beans frequently. They are originally from Missouri though.

We season them with a ham hock and leftover ham, garlic, onions, salt and pepper. I have also done them with bacon (fried in the beginning).
A ham hock makes for the BEST beans!

But if you don't have that, you can just use salt and pepper, or a little broth (whichever flavor your have or like).

You've reminded me that I have a big ol' bag of beans in the cupboard. I think I'll make them tomorrow along with some corn bread!

As for me, I wash them and pick out any rocks or dirt clumps (don't skip this... there really are rocks in there sometimes ) Put them in a pot with water about 2 inches above the beans. Bring them to a boil, then turn off the heat, cover and let sit for 2 hours. Then I either transfer them to a crock pot on high all day (adding more water), or let them simmer on the stove all day. If they simmer on the stove, make sure you're around to add more water as it cooks down.

OH! ANd I'm from SoCal (originally from Indiana though... beans were staple growing up)
RebekahG77 is offline   Reply With Quote