View Single Post
Old 11-23-2010, 11:08 AM   #15
Registered Users
Re: Pain 3 1/2 weeks in, getting discouraged :(

Aww, Melissa!!! I didn't know you had your little girl! Goes to show how horrible of a stalker I am... She is gorgeous!! Congratulations!!

Now, on to your question...

It DOES get better. The first 5 weeks of nursing Carter were complete and total torture. He was nicknamed Barracuda by one of his nurses when he was in the SCN. I ended up having to use the shield because it hurt way too much. He was a very eager nurser and had a very strong suck as well. The shield sucks, I'm not going to lie. It's messy, inconvenient, can hinder supply, and create a little faux nipple lover. I would stick with it though. Let your nipples heal for a good week or two, and then try to wean her off of using the shield. Go slowly. Take it away for one nursing, then the next day two, etc. I actually would use the shield for the beginning of the nursing session, when he was more "aggressive" at eating, and then take it away after about 5 mins. It took me a little bit over a week to completely wean him off of the shield. He is an awesome nurser now! Just hang in there. Give it time. It's sooo worth it!
Jen wife to Matt
Mommy to boobie man Carter Ray (5.28.10)
and nursing addict Kelsey Anne (1.13.13)
expecting someone new 11.14
aerobebe1421 is offline   Reply With Quote