View Single Post
Old 01-04-2011, 08:10 AM   #5
Lanasmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Please help my baby wont breast feed and midwife says to give up :(

First, let me start by saying I am not an expert by any means, but I will tell you what "I" would do in your given situation. There may be some other ladies on here who can chime in with different advice.

It seems to me you have 2 different issues: latch and supply.

I would start with supply. I would take Fenugreek and Blessed Thistle (3 of each 3 times a day) and possibly drink mothers milk tea. I also think that pumping only 4 times a day is too little to tell your body to make more milk. Try pumping every 2-3 hours during the day and possibly taking a 4 hour break at night. As far as getting your right side to let down, I find it helps if you roll your nips b/w your thumb and forefinger before you put the horns on, it seems to stimulate letdown.

For the latch, I would continue using the nip shield, but I would also get a SNS- supplemental nursing system (I think you can make one). I would try not to let the baby get too hungry, and put him to the breast as often as possible when he isn't very hungry so that he will try to latch. With the SNS your body is getting the stimulation it needs to make milk and your DS is getting the milk so not getting too frustrated.

That is all I have, if I think of anything else I will post back. Also do lots of skin to skin with him. I know its frustrating, but you're doing great mama!