View Single Post
Old 01-08-2011, 05:10 PM   #1
mommajewels
Registered Users
seller
seller

Exclamation Beastfeeding & Surgery: Information GREATLY appreciated

I posted a similar thread about 8 months ago when I first found out my gallbladder needed removed, but it's since been buried deep and I just need to hear it all again.

So, like I said.. I have to have my gallbladder removed. It first started bothering me when my DD was around 3 weeks old, she is now 10 days away from 9mos old. Basically, it's filled with gallstones. The attacks have gotten worse, and since Dh is currently laid off, we've decided it's best to schedule the surger now, so he can be here with me afterwards.

The reason I put it off 8 mos ago, was because my DD is exclusively breastfed and I was told I couldn't nurse her for 24 hours. On top of that, she ABSOLUTELY refuses to take a bottle, cup, binky, synringe feeding, etc. She will ONLY take the breast. We've worked with her on taking BM from the bottle since we learned I would need my gallbladder removed, but she will NOT have it, at all.

To this day, she is still exclusively breastfed; eating every 4-6hrs, and still will NOT accept a bottle. We've been trying solids about 2 months now, and she just isn't interested. She gags uncontrollably and forces it out of her mouth.

So the procedure I'm having will be laproscopic, which makes its outpatient. I will be able to nurse up until they wheel me back. But they said once I am out, I "have" to trash whatever I pump for 24 hours.

Now, I've read very conflicting information about this. Most breastfeeding mama's and LC's tell me I can nurse as soon as I am "sober" enough to function, as that means the anesthesia is out of my system, so it can not affect baby.
Well, I am a worry wart.. and I KNOW I will be worried sick when it comes down to nursing her post-op, afraid she will get some of the anesthesia in her system and it will have a negative affect on her.

So, I need to hear your own personal experiences! Please?

How old was your LO when you had surgery?
How long were you out, away from the baby?
How long post-OP did you wait to nurse?
Did your LO seem affected by the anesthesia at all?
Do you by chance know what kind of anesthesia you had?

Thanks mamas! I am a nervous wreck. Not about the surgery, but about her not being able to eat.... I can't imagine denying her the breast, as she is still very much attached and it's her only means of nourishment.

Last edited by mommajewels; 01-08-2011 at 05:59 PM.
mommajewels is offline   Reply With Quote