View Single Post
Old 06-22-2006, 01:58 PM   #27
raceNzanesmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Those with older kids in carseats/boosters...

I know this past the trip, but I'm just seeing it so I need to chime in. As a tech I guess I get allowed being anal about this.

My oldest rode in a booster until he was 10.10 y/o. He needed it and that was that. There was NO discussion other than the need to be safe. His friends rode in boosters in our vehicles if they needed them or they didn't ride with us. Period. When Race went with others I sent a backless booster along and explained the needed for a lap/shoulder belt to the parent. I also asked that all other occupants be buckled since they are a danger. We've had our moments, but in the end it all worked out, no friends lost, etc. Now that he's almost 13 he gets nearly as much teasing about wearing a seat belt. Which, of course, is crazy since all his friends should be in belts. His friends don't tease him, but he went places with large groups of kids where no one in the van was buckled except him.

I have taught him that the child I'm concerned with is him. He needs to be properly buckled in a vehicle, wear his helmet when biking and skating, cross at corners, etc. What other parents allow their children to do is their business (as long as it doesn't harm him).

It can be a hard thing as a parent, but one I feel is necessary. Life choices aren't always easy, but it's important to pick the right ones.

For the record, most car seat/booster laws are crap. Kids NEED a booster until they fit a seat belt correctly. For most child/vehicle combos this is around 4'9"- yep that's 10 years plus for most kids. Seat belts are made for adult MEN and don't fit a child properly which can cause spinal and internal injury and death. Kids are ready for a seat belt alone when the can pass the 5 step test in ALL vehicles they ride in. From carseat.org:

"The 5-Step Test.

1. Does the child sit all the way back against the auto seat?
2. Do the child's knees bend comfortably at the edge of the auto seat?
3. Does the belt cross the shoulder between the neck and arm?
4. Is the lap belt as low as possible, touching the thighs?
5. Can the child stay seated like this for the whole trip?

If you answered "no" to any of these questions, your child needs a booster seat to make both the shoulder belt and the lap belt fit right for the best crash protection. Your child will be more comfortable, too!

The back seat is the safest part of the car for all passengers. Recent research shows that children should ride in the back seat until they reach age 15."

HTH!!

CPS Tech to all- Need car seat/booster help? EMAIL me.
raceNzanesmom is offline   Reply With Quote