View Single Post
Old 06-22-2006, 08:02 PM   #29
Dsunny1
Registered Users

Re: Those with older kids in carseats/boosters...

"As far as high back boosters vs. car seats with seat belt slots (the ones that are convertible), which are better?? The car seat she is in has the slots on the sides for a seat belt to go into, i just figured if it was in the truck why not just buckle it in through the seat belt and then let her use the 5 pt. instead of using the seat belt with the same seat herself...is that better?? and when should i start using the seat belt only, if ever? She is roughly 40 pds now but her head doesn't go above the seat and she is petite."

I wanted to answer your question really quick as I don't think racenzanesmom saw it. If she is 40lbs or over and her seat is only rated for the harness to 40lbs, you can not use the harness any longer. If it is a seat that converts to a booster then you forst remove the harness, adn use the seatbelt accross her and the guides along the top side of the seat are used if the seatbelt doesn't hit her shoulder in the correct area. Some of the combination seats have what we call closed belt paths, so they hold the belt on the shoulder correctly, but if she leans forward and introduces slack into the belt, they don't allow the belt to retract so it is tight against her again. If that is the type of seat you have, I would use a high back booster that has an open loop for the shoulder belt portion so it retracts as it should, or you could buy her a seat that harnesses to 55-65lbs and worry about a booster when she outgrows it.