View Single Post
Old 01-31-2011, 07:34 AM   #7
cococomey
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Does anyone else have to save $$$ to take maternity leave????

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh0rtchica View Post
i know this is an old thread, but yeah i also have to save for maternity leave. i've decided not to return to my job, and i won't have any paid leave at all, but i'm the primary bread-earner so we can't survive off DH's income alone. i started planning this when i found out in october, and so far I've managed to put away $2500. I'll need to double that to get through about 2.5 months without working, and then after that I'll have to pull in $1500/month with contracting jobs. it's a scary prospect!!

it's been really hard to save this month - i had to create different budgets for the first 4 months of the year, the next 3 months, and then the last 5 months (I budget in Quicken so it's a yearly budget, but you can change category amounts each month or quarter if you want). we're still eating out too much and buying lots of convenience foods - partly because i've been sick all month. that's gotta change once this baby comes!
WOW- I am proud of you! That is a great start. I need to save $2400.00 to be off 2 months- something keeps dipping into it so I am only @ $850.00... I know I won't get to $2400 but I can get close. Not unless I get some side jobs and I hoard crazier than I am now
My mom comes here 3 days a week and always wants to eat out...I tell her no and then she pays for it and I feel bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishie Kisses View Post
We have to budget, but not quite like that. I will get Short Term Disability from the state for 6 weeks before and 6 weeks after which is 60% of my pay (but tax free, so it's actually almost exactly my take-home). Then I get and additional 6 weeks of paid FMLA at 55% (also tax free). The only thing I will have to strictly budget for is my medical premiums which is about $500/mo for the whole family. I will have to send in a check every month in order to keep it.

I don't intend to take the 6 weeks prior. I'd actually really like to work right up until my EDD, but my boss won't let me work past May 1 Hopefully he's early.
Short term disability is perfect for Maternity leave- good for you.

cococomey is offline   Reply With Quote