View Single Post
Old 02-02-2011, 06:01 AM   #3
Mama4Ways
Registered Users

Re: May Flowers Chat Groundhogs day!

Luv--Tough situation. Ive done both things with CIO. One being "Oh my gawd! The baby is crying??!?! Pick him up!!!!" to "Yeah, youve been crying for uhhmmm 40 minutes and you have long since lost your fruity little mind, and guess what? Nothing awful happened to you, and yeah, it sucks to be you right now, but maybe tomorrow you will not let yourself get so worked up..." I am happy to report that the kids that went through my early learning as a parent have grown up and are as well adjusted and stable people as they can be as young adults now, so I can't say that either extreme damaged them.

What ended up working for us as a routine is a middle ground. Set the time limit that you can tolerate for letting him self-comfort (far better thought than CIO), then at that time, go into him, settle him down right where he is, reassure him that he's not dying or worse, snuggle his transitional objects with him, then when hes calm, put him back down and let him know its not time to wake up yet. For me its about 10-15 minutes.

Ive experienced that there is an escalation at first, where the crying gets worse after I leave, but with perserverance, it eventually will calm and the baby will fuss for a bit, then self-comfort. Took my YDD about a week to learn that all the crying in the world wouldnt get her out of her cage and UP!! in the middle of the night oclock thirty, and she was able to get comfortable again. She still wakes about the same time nightly (for us, its 3:20 am., but she takes less than 3 minutes to get herself situated and back to sleep. Its work to do, but well worth it in a week or two when you realize you slept until 7 am and baby didnt get you up...

Today Im at my dh's house, so my first order of business is cleaning, then I was hoping to get some knitting done. I joined the shorties knit-along here to give me focus, and Im itching to get going.

AOTD--the storm missed us, although we are in a deep freeze again so Ill be staying in rather than braving the -40 temps with -65 windchills. No need to go anywhere... I have PLENTY to do here LOL