Old 02-23-2011, 09:46 AM   #22
Qbit
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Intervention to end BFing?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amb2j View Post
So, yesterday, my sister (with whom I am VERY close :-)and best friend (since we were 5) called me (on three way) as an intervention to get me to stop breastfeeding DS. Their arguments were 1) He is too big to be breastfeeding still (granted, he is the size of a 12 mo but he is still 5 mo) 2) After a certain point there are little to no nutritional advantages (I explained to them they were correct-even though that doesnt apply at 5mo, but nutrition is not the only reason I am doing it-also emotional and psychological reasons). They had some other superficial arguments, but when it all boiled down, I think they are just 1) uneducated about BF and 2) a little jealous-they both have children, but none of them have jobs that really supported BF or the lifestyle/support that would allow them to BF even if they wanted. I simply explained to them that I was going to BF for as long as DS is interested-maybe age 1, maybe 2 or even longer, and that they need to get used to it-lol...to which they responded "thats just disgusting." I lauged it off and still think its kind of funny. Has anything this crazy happened to you mamas?
Maybe someone already commented on this but I skimmed and didn't see anything. I just wanted to say that, no, they are NOT correct! Breast milk never stops having nutritional advantages. Here's a really interesting link you should check out...

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/bfextended/ebf-benefits.html

I'm lucky that my DS is not a picky eater, but if he were a picky eater like many toddlers are, I don't think I would be as stressed out about it as many parents are because I know that he is getting all kinds of good stuff from my milk still.

Last edited by Qbit; 02-23-2011 at 09:49 AM.
Qbit is offline   Reply With Quote