View Single Post
Old 02-23-2011, 03:26 PM   #20
Traysee
Registered Users
seller

Re: Elective 3d/4d ultrasounds

I have had 3D ultrasounds during my pregnancy. I am expecting twins in May. I had a lot of early problems with my pregnancy. The first 3D one I had was elective, I paid for a package deal. I went to a real OB office that offered it and had a certified tech do the imaging. I decided to get it because my first OB had a terrible US machine and rarely let me see the screen during my exams. I had to ask him to show me my babies or he didn't bother. He rarely gave me photos and didn't even play me their heartbeats. Several times during my pregnancy I had pregnancy complications and I was so afraid I was going to lose the pregnancy that I wanted to see my babies better in case that was all I was going to have of them. I wanted to know everything I could about them before I lost them. I am on bed rest and so far doing well except for one trip to the hospital for contractions last sunday.

I really do not think that ultrasounds are dangerous. All the research you see on ultrasounds has said that there are no known risks. Ultrasounds have been around for a very long time. It is just sound waves. Most high risk pregnancies have multiple ultrasounds. In twin/multiple pregnancies towards the end you have one a week. If you are having a normal pregnancy you do not have nearly as many as a high risk person does. I do not think you have anything to worry about by having one or two more ultrasounds, and it is something special you will have forever. My sister had 3D ultrasounds with her babies 12 years ago so even 3D has been around for a long time.

I ended up leaving my first doctor at 20 weeks because he was very unsupportive and switched to a more high tech office. My current doctor heads the L and D department at his hospital. This hospital has one of the highest rated Level 3 NICUs in our area. He says that ultrasounds are very safe and that 3D is no different than having a regular 2D ultrasound. My new doctor actually offers 3D/4D elective ultrasounds in his office. If I knew that I would have my 3D elective done there since their machines are really awesome and the tech gets really great shots.
Traysee is offline   Reply With Quote