View Single Post
Old 06-07-2007, 01:55 PM   #1
Zan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Need some advise

I just visited a good friend in the hospital. She had her baby boy yesterday morning. I know when she was pregnant she said she planned on bfing and ffing. I figured she knew that if you bf you need to start bfing from the get go and then switch to bottles after the bf relationship is well established.

I asked her if she was nursing and she said felt she already has enough to learn about and that she'll try nursing when she gets home from the hospital. I held back my tongue b/c I was afraid I'd get into lecture mode or it wouldn't come out right (when I feel strongly about something it can sometimes come out in a way that seems that I'm judging- it's the passion but it can come across to some the wrong way) She said that I and another friend offered our support and that she has read a lot of bf books but if it doesn't work out she's not going to stress about it. I told her that she might want to try before leaving the hospital b/c when her milk comes in she might get so engorged the baby might not latch. I used the analogy of a ballon and it being semi inflated vs an over inflated ballon. I told her to at least get the phone number of the lactation consultant before she leaves the hospital - that way she'll have a professional to call if she needs help. I told her that the lc is great- the same one I used when my DD was born @ same hospital a year ago.

My dilemma- I feel like I should've told her more....like how important it is for the baby to get the colostrum, that nursing usually goes best if it's started right away w/out a nipple introduced, that it doesn't necessary come easy for both the mama and the baby, etc. However, I sensed she was feeling already overwhelmed at the moment, uncomfortable about the whole situation, perhaps shy in not wanting the nurses or lc's to see or touch her breasts, etc. What else to I do or say? Do I leave it at that? How do I encourage without seeming to overwhelm or push her?

About her: She's very educated (in general), is more career oriented and plans to go back to work 10-12weeks after and said that she's read up a lot on breastfeeding. This is her first baby- although they realized that they miscarried exactly one year to the day when her baby boy was born yesterday. She's mostly 'mainstreamed' (not very crunchy)

Zan is offline   Reply With Quote