3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Nourishing Traditions Support Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by swalker97 View Post
I haven't gotten to read all the posts, but I'm loving this so far. We have really been trying to get rid of all the bad stuff in our house and eat better, but I've been so overwhelmed by all of the information-especially since most of it is anti-animal products. We LOVE meat, cheese, yogurt and milk. I just bought "Nourishing Traditions" for my ipad, but I so wish there was a "quick start guide"! LOL!
This is what we've done so far (any suggestions/advice is GREATLY appreciated):
We get all of our meat from our local CSA (free range, grass fed, etc.)
We get our eggs from our local CSA
We get non-homogenized, low-heat pasteurized mild from our CSA
I'm grinding wheat and making my own bread (but I've been using veg oil)
I've gotten rid of most canned goods (except tomatoes)
I buy mostly fresh veggies, but not always organic

I think that is most of our good efforts for the moment. We still have boxed cereal and pastas (and a bunch of GS cookies right now). Condiments are a big obstacle for me. I try to make as much as I can from scratch, but I do work a fulltime job.
PLEASE help me do better. I am 60lbs overweight and so is DH. I'm tired all the time and feel miserable. I want to look better and NEED to feel better. Still there are seven of us and the food has to TASTE good or I will have a revolt on my hands
I agree you are doing well already. Here is the closest thing I can find to a quick start guide. http://www.westonaprice.org/abcs-of-...thy-diets.html I would also suggest that you look at that http://nourishedkitchen.com/shop-nou...hy-meal-plans/ I don't work outside the house but this seems like a great way to get started without feeling overwhelmed (that is if you can afford this as there is a cost involved). I imagine I will over time not need this anymore but for right now it seems like a good idea. I also like you can get just one month (which I found a coupon code and got it for just $8) so you can try it. This week is Seafood Gumbo, Lemon Chicken legs, lamb pot roast, broiled shrimp, pickled garlic and bananas foster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyaurora View Post
I would LOVE this recipe if you were willing to share!

Great thread, I just ordered the book. I'd love to follow traditional eating even more closely now that my daughter is getting close to weaning time.

It wouldn't be too huge an adjustment.

I've only drank water for years. Perhaps once every couple months I have a natural rootbeer OH brings home for me, I enjoy that.
Haven't had white bread for years except the odd sourdough.
I buy free range eggs and just found a source for local.
Margarine hasn't passed my lips (ok, maybe on toast in a restaraunt breakfast!) since I was a teenager when my grandma convinced my mom to switch.
Only use EVOO. (Havent cooked with Coconut Oil but I use it on my daughers skin)

I have the challenge of living up North.. north of 60. Food is exxpensive and we're limited. There IS an organic produce club I should look into joining now that I'm home all the time. (I used to drive truck long haul and most of it would have gone to waste.) I'd never be able to find raw dairy... but hey I can do what I can, right?
- Welcome! Sounds like you have been doing good too!

Have you looked at http://www.realmilk.com/where.html to see if you can get raw milk near you? My source is honestly 3 hours away, but they have drop point not too far from me.