Mom2ManyBlessings
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Nourishing Traditions Support Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyaurora View Post
I would LOVE this recipe if you were willing to share!
Sure! I got it from an Above Rubies magazine Issue #76

This is for a few loafs at a time, but you can cut it in 1/2 or even 1/4, but this is the orginial recipe

Sour Dough Bread

Ingredients:
2 Quarts Home Grown Rye-Fed Sour Dough Starter
6 1/2 Cups of Rye Flour
6 1/2 Cups Spelt Flour
2 1/12 TBSP Sea Salt
1 1/2 Quarts Water - More or Less as needed. The important thing is to get the right gooey, wet, oatmeal porridge consistency.

Method:
1. Put all ingredients in order in a large pot or bowl and knead with a big wooden rolling pin (or wooden spoon or some other device) by pulling the pin towards you and pushing it away from you - about 5 minutes, or 10 for those who want extra tones arms. You can even get your hands into the gooey mixture and kneed, washing well when finished. You cannot knead this mixture on the counter. It is meant to look and feel like goo.

2. To check for the perfect consistency, test midway kneading, rather than at the beginning as it will get thicker when the gluten fibers start coming together.

3. Put in buttered pans to rise. I raise my bread for at lease seven hours for a good rise. Sometimes you will get the height you want after only four house but the phytates will not be removed until at least seven hours. I either make bread in the morning and bake for evening dinner or make it in the evening and bake for breakfast.

4. Bake at 350 degrees for one hour

5. If you want to go all the way, you can put a pan of water in the vottom tray underneath the pans, which steams your bread. Cook your bread in ceramic bread tins for an excellent crust.

6. To put this gooey mixture into your tins, wet a ceral bowl, dip it into the bowl and flop it into you pans. Each pan should be a generous half full. Wet your hands and flatten the bread with the slap of a wet palm.

Yum!
Also, if you don't already have a starter here's how she says to start one

Sour Dough Starter
Method:
1. In a sterilized bowl (pour boiling water over it to sterilize) add one cup of rye flour and one cup of pure water. Keep it on your counter top with a breathable cloth. Every day for seven days swap it to a new clean sterilized bowl and add one extra cup of rye flour and one extra cup of water. You swap bowls to make sure you do not catch bad bacteria while catching your wild yeast from the air.

2. After seven days your starter should be bubbly and spongy and should smell good and sour. If you have caught your yeast, put your new starter into a clean home, a platic or glass bowl that will hold three quarts of liquid. Never use metal. There is no need to switch bowls any more.

3. It is now a family pet. Take it out and clean its home once a month. Feed it one cup of flour and one cup of water every day. Cover with a breathable cloth-I use a nylon mesh bag from the regular painting store. These are fantastic and allow air in and keep insects out.

4. When you feed your starter and stir it around, you may only use platic or wooden utensils. No metal please or you will kill your new pet.

5. Use your starter and bake again when your starter has grown back. Always leave at least one cup to grow within its starter house. If you caught a good starter your bread should rise nice and lofty and never be like a brick.

There's some helpful hints to but I'll have to post those later as my wrists are killing me after typing all that out
Mom2ManyBlessings is offline   Reply With Quote