View Single Post
Old 04-04-2011, 04:15 AM   #16
doubleddog
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: UCers, What about AFTER the birth??

When I was a kid my neighbor UC'd with all 4 of her children due to the fact that there were no midwives in the area and she was determined to have a natural experience. She was also a Jehovah's Witness, so I think she was nervous about being pressured to get blood transfusions in the event of an emergency. I was a kid at the time, so I don't remember, but my mom said her hubby would always drive her to the hospital to get checked after the birth and stitched if she tore and they didn't take the baby, so she would always just tell them she needed to get home to nurse. She's the only person I know IRL who's ever UC'd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dornmama View Post
Homebirth with a midwife is different and it's the midwives that are prepared for the emergency situations. In the event of an emergency that the midwife can not treat at home she will simply transfer mother and baby to the hospital. Midwives are equipped to handle a large variety of things though.
I don't know that I'd agree 100% with this. Maybe my experience was just different than most, but I was given information at my first midwife appointment about how to deliver a baby if the midwife didn't make it in time. I was also given a "to read" list. Home birth mamas are or at least should be held to a higher standard than hospital birth moms. To even decide to consider a home birth she has to have done some extra research. It was made very clear to me that having a home birth is a serious thing to not be taken lightly and that I needed to majorly do my homework during pregnancy. Yes, a midwife will transfer if there are major issues, but they carry oxygen, pitocin, tinctures and herbal remedies, and various other things to aid in unforseen problems that could arise. They also are just a lot more thoroughly trained than OBs in certain things like various birth positions for different problems in labor.
Babywearing, CDing SAHM. I love my DH and my 3 sweet girls, looking forward to meeting team green baby #4 April 2013.
doubleddog is offline   Reply With Quote