View Single Post
Old 04-15-2011, 11:12 AM   #6
Selene
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How much do you pay a MONTH for child care?

We live in medium-sized coastal Southern California town. Once DH goes back to work, DS will be starting at the nearby Tutor Time daycare center. It's $257/week or $1028 per month.
That includes meals and snacks and the center is open 6:30am-6:30pm. Although DS will only be there 7:30-3 pm most days it is the same price for anything over 5 hours a day (there is a part time rate for less than 5 hrs/daily). DS is one and he will be in the Toddler room...the rate goes down each year as the children get older.
We looked into a couple of home based daycares. They ranged from $185-200 per week, with the one we preferred being $200 per week. I am a teacher though and most homebased daycares still require the full payment even during sprin/summer/winter vacation whether or not DS is there (I would likely be home with him most of the time on school vacation). The payment is required to hold the spot, so I understand why they have to do it but I didn't want to have to pay for daycare during the 12 weeks or so per year that I am on break. The daycare center was fine with us not paying for weeks that DS isn't there and we can choose to pay parttime or per day rates if he only goes fours days one week (when I have a Mon or Fri off) or during summer school when I am off earlier. So while the daycare center is a bit more costly per week I think it will end up being cheaper in the long run.

Last edited by Selene; 04-15-2011 at 12:37 PM.
Selene is offline   Reply With Quote