Thread: Homemade Thread
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2011, 10:52 AM   #113
tkeyser
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Homemade Thread

Ok, my turn. Homemade koolaid/juice. We were hit with two realizations at once: The plastic containers my daughters drink/mixes come in are leeching estrogen like toxins into the drink, and the synthetic coloring is NOT helping her control her "tweaking out".
So I trial and errored until I came up with this recipe. Hope you enjoy it.

You will need:
3qt stainless steel or cast iron pot for simmering
2.5 qts filtered or purified water
1/4 cup dried cranberries or 1 cup whole fresh cranberries
1/4 cup frozen blueberries or 3/4 cup whole fresh
1/2 cup raw sugar or 1.5 TBS raw honey (we like things SWEET in our house)
Wooden/bamboo spoon you don't mind getting dyed a little
(optional) Red beet "pickled eggs" mix, which is primarily evaporated cane juice and powdered red beets. It's used to make those weird red pickled eggs you sometime see at pubs. :P

Put two quarts water, blueberries, and cranberries on the stove on low. Stir occasionally. It's done when you can mash up the fruit pieces with the spoon. Allow to cool a little, then pour thru metal strainer and/or cheesecloth into heat safe glass container like pyrex. Go back to stove, add half qt of water, heat to low, add in sugar or honey, stir until dissolved, add it to the previous batch o liquid. Finally if you are adding a natural coloring (you don't necessarily have to as the blueberry and cranberry make a pale purpley pink tint already) now is when you add approx 1/2 tsp of your powdered beet mix to color it like koolaid. Allow to cool to room temp before refridgerating to avoid stressing your pyrex. It's flavored like juice mostly and the sweetness/consistency of koolaid.
Let me know if anything seems unclear or funky, but Iv'e been doing this every other day for almost a month now, and my VERY particular DD is totally happy with this.

PS any fruits may be added for FLAVOR, but WON't add significant COLOR to the drink.

ETA: BTW this can make a SUPER yummy adult drink with some crushed ice and nice quality vodka or tequila (SHHHH!)

Last edited by tkeyser; 05-15-2011 at 01:17 PM.
tkeyser is offline   Reply With Quote