View Single Post
Old 05-06-2011, 01:07 PM   #92
foodie.yarnie.mommie.
Registered Users
Formerly: dimibella
seller

My Mood:
Re: UPDATED- Please help my baby wont breast feed and midwife says to give up :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenajean1 View Post
UPdate:
Well things have improved, he nurses now fine without a sns or nipple shield.

We had gone to full breastfeeding, but again his weight slowed and he has been throwingf its at the breast and being hungry even after feeds.

The fenugreek had helped, as well as bottle elimination, and morse suckling, I went to boost my fenugreek and realized the German pills I had were not anywhere near the US equivalent and the doage was way too low. SO I am hopeful with taking more it will help, I was not even yet to the minimum recommended doasge. I am going to start with 3.6 grams a day (per kellymom) and work up if needed.

A really super mom here ordered me fenu greek from the us. On the German economy I would have to take minimum 16 pills a day to get that 3.5 minimum and it would cost me 110 dollars a month. The Us bottles, 7 months worth only cost 35 USD.- Can you believe that.

So we went back to the midwife saying to give a daily bottle, doctor saying not to. I did a middle ground and put him on the breast over and over until he got to the point where that justw as not a option, if he got hysterical which was not often I gave him a bottle. On a bad day that was maybe 180ml forumla a day.

But I very much still want to eliminate it fully. I no longer take formula with us unless we are going on long trip. But I want to eliminate that even. I am happy that it is cut way back and there are days where we need none, buT I want to get past that.

I think we have come a long way from a baby who was initially fully formula fed and I am hopeful that since even in small doses the fenufgreek helped, that at a proper dosage we can get passed this final hurdle.

I am hoping if the fenugreek helps that I can do some extra pumping. I only have an electric pump another month and a half, so I would like to build a freezer stash so that if for any reason he needs a bottle, I have breast milk on hand and can keep the formula out of the house. I have a hand pump so hopefully that will be doable once the elctric pump is gone.

I fully intend to nurse him 12 months, and am considering 24 months which is now reccomended by WHO.

Thank you all so much for your help this far, if you have any more advice about this last hurdle or pumping for the freezer please do share. And I sure hope to one day post that the formula is gone for good.

BUt for a little boy who could not even latch he has come a long way. I am proud of us both for making it this far-
So happy for you mama!