View Single Post
Old 05-13-2011, 03:45 PM   #1
litllegreekmama
Registered Users
seller

Would there be interest in mommy & me bracelets?

Hi ladies-i'm totally new to the WHAM thing, and if i were going to do it at all i'd want to do something different. This is an idea I came up with as my son started wanting to walk instead of be carried. Please let me know your honest (but kind) opinions. If you know of something out there like this let me know as well. I'd hate to pour myself into something that is already out there and selling!

Everyone with a toddler knows there's a point where your little one wants to be independent. They'd much rather walk than be carried anymore! But in crowded or somewhat precarious (walking near water or a roadway) situations it can be nerve wracking and frustrating keeping your little one close. They don't always WANT to hold your hand (ok it seems like they NEVER DO RIGHT?!) Stroller straps are great for older kids who know they HAVE To hold on or else, but what about those obstinate ones who basically see it as hand holding-or when you don't HAVE A stroller? And we've all seen the parents who are mocked and even chastised for leashing their children, whether it be a tether or a back pack! The leash is LONG and i've seen many a kid in this situation try to bolt from their parents only to end up tangling up some unsuspecting stranger in their leash!
That's where i got the idea for the mommy and me bracelets. Both mommy and toddler wear bracelets that are connected by a snap/loop system. Toddler wears a bracelet with the words "baby", "kiddo" or something of that nature (perhaps a nickname?) and their parents phone number, which is attached to the "tether" by a pull through loop (that way you CAN'T dissconnect on the toddler end). This SHORT tether then goes up to meet mommys bracelet, either by another pull through loop or by snap, which has "mommy" or your name with the matching phone number on it. The tether would be long enough to give a child a sense of freedom, but short enough so that noone gets tangled (mommy, kiddo or strangers!). I basically evisioned combining the safety and free-hand's-ness of a leash with the closeness of hand holding, which still giving the toddler, and mommy an open hand! It would look much less controlling looking than a leash, but still give you the peace of mind of knowing noone can just snatch your kid!

I envision the bracelets to be adjustable, with snaps, or perhaps make of a cotton/knit if desired so that the FIT but are still stretchy and comfortable!I also want them to be able to detach from the tether, that way you can both wear them, and if you and your child are separated, someone could see the phone number and call/match you up with each other.

SO what do you think? Are there gaping holes/safety issues i'm not thinking of? Would anyone want to see a prototype? We're going to the beach in two weeks, and i think the boardwalk would be a perfect place to test this out!