View Single Post
Old 06-08-2011, 12:18 PM   #10
Crew&West
Registered Users
Formerly: Crewsmom
seller

Re: Getting off the bottle, cold turkey style?

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodah View Post
Since he is 18 months and you know he will take a sippy, I would cut out one "cuddle" time at a time but only after you have adjusted from the move. The move could be a very big deal for him and hes not going to understand you "forgetting" them. You will have so much going on that most likely you will cave and give it back to him. It would be better to wait until you know for sure that you can do it then try and give up because he will remember that as well. I agree that hes too old for the bottle. JMO but the longer you wait, the harder it probably will be. Yes some kids just get over them and don't care but if your 2 or 3 year old cares then you will have a heck of time trying to get them through this.
Good point! thank you, and knowing myself, yes I would cave under the stress myself and give in. He's got a lot coming up.. him and big brother. A move to a new house, new room (they'll be sharing for the 1st time since yds was an infant and we tried it), new beds, etc. So probably best to keep some normalcy (sp?) for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcjs View Post
Does he need one or is it just a habit of yours and his as that is the routine? (I don't mean it in a negative way as I went through it with my husband and with him I went cold turkey and packed them up and only left 2 out just in case but I knew he wouldn't go after them or look). Try giving him a sippy and see what happens. We use the Nuk with the same tip but it is the bigger shape for snuggle time and the smaller one with handles for meals. The bigger is so similar to a bottle that it may be able to easier make the transition that way.

I think it really depends on the child & parent but we find its more "us" than our son. We were so reluctant with the story's with the pacifier and it wasn't a huge deal and we transitioned him off over about a week.
Oh, I'm pretty sure I'm 75% of the "problem". Like I said it's pure laziness not to try harder. He asks, he recieves because he's a HUGE screamer if he doesn't get his way. Now.. on that note I should say he does NOT get his way with anything, but with this he almost does because in my eyes it's like "eh, whatever" kwim? I think I'll maybe take 1 or 2 to the new house and just keep the others packed away until we make the full transition for him.