View Single Post
Old 06-08-2011, 07:41 PM   #1
arhodes728
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
colic and comfort nursing - ahh!

hey mommas

i'm a new mom to my beautiful DD who will be 7 weeks tomorrow. we are still working through some kinks in our bfing relationship but its getting better. however, there's one problem that we cannot seem to shake and its really making me crazy.

i'm fairly sure she has colic. she gets super fussy everyday around 4 or 5 and it goes on pretty much all night until she falls asleep for the night around 930 or 10 with maybe 1 30 minute nap in there somewhere. i try feeding her when it first starts and she gets frantic and pulls off screaming so i've started lulling her to sleep slowly with a paci and cradling her and bouncing her gently. that works for a little while at least. the rest of the night is off and on nursing - i don't even know how often because it feels constant. i'm noticing that a lot of it is for comfort and to be quite honest, i really don't like it when she comfort sucks. i don't mind it when she's actually nursing and does it a little at the end to get her to sleep, but it seems like she does it a lot at night and i cannot figure out how to stop her from doing it. she won't take the pacifier each time. she's colicky so comfort nursing seems to be the only thing that will instantly calm her down. if she gets tired enough, she will eventually fall asleep from rocking, but thats not until closer to bedtime.

has anyone else had this problem? i don't mean this to be selfish, but i am so tired of being on the sofa for 4 hours at a time with her falling asleep for 15 minutes here, waking up screaming, comfort nursing, drinking a little here and there... plus i wonder if she's even getting enough hind milk when she nurses like that - it ends up being close to 10 minutes each side and she's not an aggressive nurser. i really feel crazy. i feel so bad for her when she cries and i want to soothe her but i don't want to get into the habit of her needing to comfort suck for so long every single night. i end up getting so frustrated sometimes that i have to leave her with DH and go into another room for awhile because its just too overwhelming.

any suggestions or encouragement? when does this get better? this is my first and i'm glad i'm breastfeeding but i don't think i would keep doing it past 6 months if i didn't think it would get better than this in a few months - is that true?

thanks mommas
arhodes728 is offline   Reply With Quote