View Single Post
Old 06-13-2011, 03:35 PM   #1
essnce629
Registered Users

Unhappy Oxyclean ruining my PUL covers???

Over the past 6+ months or so I've had about 6 covers ruined. They're not delaminating, but they feel completely different than my other PUL covers and they are leaking right through the PUL (DS will will be damp all over when I go to change him). It feels as though the PUL is wearing off-- it's still there, but the fabric seems much more soft and it's as though the PUL is much more porous. First it happened with 2 Thristies Duo Wrap covers, then my new Weehuggers cover, and now it's happening to 3 of my Econobum covers! I need to buy new covers now and I don't want it happening again.

My wash routine is cold prewash, hot wash, and 2 cold rinses. I use 7th Generation F & C detergent and usually some Oxyclean (which I've started using more in the last 6 months since moving into our new house with a top loader instead of a front loader). I have always dried everything together on high heat. In the 2 years of CD'ing my oldest son who is now 7, I never had this problem (and I also never used Oxyclean). I always dried all his diapers on high heat so I don't think it's from the dryer. I never would have even suspected the Oxyclean as the culprit till I read a similar story online.

I usually use about a 1/2 scoop of Oxyclean and let it soak in the hot wash for about an hour. It's the regular oxyclean, but the "free" kind without the blue dots. It's not the "baby" kind.

Anyone else have this problem? I'm down to just a few usuable covers now!!!