View Single Post
Old 06-15-2011, 07:58 AM   #26
dalynn1997
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: I need to understand something about those not bf.

Ever situation is different.

Formula is easy and FREE for a lot of people because they qualify for WIC, even though WIC encourages BF. So BF doesn't save money for some people.

And a lot of people take what seems to be the easier way, especially if they work and their place of employment doesn't make it easy to pump.

I have done childcare for 12 years and have had many moms who were able to EBF while they were off work but when they went back to work they struggled with being able to pump at work enough to keep supply up. Many of them were heartbroken but ended up switching to formula.

For me, I would love to be able to breastfeed my babies, I dreamed of being one of those moms who homebirthed, breastfed, cloth diapered but unfortunately I have never been able to get pregnant. I'm a foster parent so those babies are FF even with cloth diapers on their bottoms. I had to embrace MY reality.

But with my DS that was placed with us to adopt, we had 2 days notice before bringing hime home. I did try to BF for several months using a SNS feeder (which contained formula). It would take him at least an hour to take 2oz and then he would be hungry again. I pumped and took tons of supplements but never produced a drop. It was wonderful for bonding purposes and I do not regret trying but the reality was he was being fed formula through a very tiny tube, mommy was exhausted and baby was frustrated. I finally stopped trying to feed him this way and let him continue to suckle for the sake of bonding until he stopped wanting too.

In a perfect world, every women who wanted a baby would concieve easily, every mommy would get to stay home with their babies and every baby would take easily to BF and every mommy would produce tons of liquid gold .... unfortunately that isn't always the reality.
Christian Wife to DH married 16 years. Forever mommy to my adopted son #9 C (3 yrs) Currently fostering #20 A our bonus buddy full sibling to my adopted son (16 mths). We have fostered 20 children so far, some with medical special needs. Still hoping for a forever girl.
dalynn1997 is offline   Reply With Quote