View Single Post
Old 06-15-2011, 08:29 AM   #27
lisha622
Registered Users
seller

Re: I need to understand something about those not bf.

I BF, and am so thankful for this relationship with my daughter, but I am thankful for the nipple shield we used for the first 4 weeks because I'm not sure if I would have been able to get her to latch otherwise as LCs were not very helpful.

I think a lack of education is one of the biggest things. I had a friend who pumped for 4 weeks because she couldn't get her baby to latch and then she went to get help and pretty much got none so ended up switching to formula. I was frustrated that she wasn't helped more. I think she would have tried harder probably though if WIC didn't make the formula free for her. However, she was still sad about her choice, and while I really wanted BF to work for her, I knew she was frustrated and something needed to change.

I think if I had to go back to work at 6 weeks that BFing would be really hard. Pumping isn't much fun, and I don't get a lot when I pump. Thankfully, I didn't have to go back to work. I give major props to women who go back to work at 6 weeks and EBF. Good job Mamas!

Another, far-less common reason you may see a women FF is because of foster care/adoption. My mom did foster care and had babies that she obviously had to FF as she had no milk. My youngest sister who is 12 was adopted, and she saw me BFing and asked my mom if she was BF. haha- it was cute My mom had to explain the way it worked to her.