View Single Post
Old 06-27-2011, 06:12 PM   #1
bluedaisy
Registered Users
seller

Do your friends and family respect what you do?

We just recently relocated and I had to quit a part time job that I loved working and teaching at a University.

I have a 2 1/2 year old and am expecting my second in Feb. With DH's income, I can probably be a SAHM but I am also starting an upcycling business on etsy and in craft fairs to bring in a little income.

I get strange reactions when I tell my friends and family. People have always commented on how much they like the things I make, and it seems like it's "cool" when it's just my hobby - but not as a job. I've always done very well in school and have advanced degrees, so I don't know if that's why people are reacting.

I just really want to be with my kids and I lost a lot of my career ambition when I became a mother. I love the idea of being able to do something I love while being with my kids 24/7, but I'm getting pretty discouraged from people's reactions. I get a feeling DH and my mom just don't take me very seriously and don't think I'll actually make any money, and my dad makes sarcastic comments about how he's glad I'm using my degrees and asking if my website has a million hits yet.

Can anyone relate? What do your friends and family think of what you do? Did you have similar reactions in the beginning?

We are starting a social enterprise making and selling cloth diapers in Uganda: www.kijanionline.com
bluedaisy is offline   Reply With Quote