Old 07-02-2011, 09:49 AM   #7
SugarBooger
Registered Users
Formerly: hooah_momma
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: How do you promote your business?

I would just like to offer the other side of the debate, from a consumer, blog owner, and etsy shop owner.

I enter giveaways from time to time. I'm not out for hoarding all the freebies I can get. I only enter giveaways for products and WAHMs that I'm actually interested in. I do it because we live on a tight budget, and getting something for free that we could use or something fun that we want is considered a huge blessing to us. If I don't win the giveaway (which is pretty much all the time) I never just drop the WAHM. I enjoy seeing their updates on my Facebook and keeping up to date with their products and promotions, and I keep them on my list of WAHMs I will purchase from, from time to time when we have extra money in our budget. I am very selective in the giveaways I enter, but if I hear about a good one that I'm interested in, I'm very thankful for the WAHM to be offering something they worked hard to make for free, and I'm very glad to learn about a new WAHM that I can purchase from in the future. I try to buy baby items from WAHMs to help them out instead of going to Babies R Us or somewhere. I recently purchased a shopping cart cover that I needed from a wonderful WAHM instead of just going over to BRU, and I was very pleased with the quality and the price.

Now I'm on the other side of the giveaway world -- the blogging side. I've been blogging for years, but DH recently started encouraging me to get my blog "out there," because he likes it and thinks others will like it too, and we are hoping that some day it could help loosen up our very tight budget. Writing is something I'm good at, just like making diapers is something some WAHMs are good at, and so just like those WAHMs, I'm trying to make a little chump change from it to help loosen up the budget. I'm not trying to selfishly get things for free to "review." I'm not a review/giveaway only blog. I have never asked for a freebie from a WAHM I'm going to review (though some have offered) and if anything, I would prefer to buy the product when I can afford to and review it that way. I have asked WAHMs if they wanted to sponsor a giveaway to help me get my numbers up and to help them get the word out about their product, but I'm not trying to selfishly get anything free for myself out of it, I'm just trying to help promote the WAHMs I love and promote my blog.

I am slowly but surely stocking my Etsy, and when it's ready to launch, I plan on doing at least one giveaway just to get the word out about my new shop. I think that's what giveaways are for. They help rapidly spread the word about your products. I think that the most important thing a shop owner can do is provide a quality product, and excellent customer support. But I think that giveaways and other promotions can help spread the word. If it weren't for DS and Facebook and giveaway blogs, I wouldn't have known about all the wonderful WAHMs that I have purchased from and plan to purchase from in the future.

So, all that to say: not all of us are selfish and just out for personal gain. I know just what it's like to be a mom and try to help support the family, and I try my best to support the other moms that are out there doing the same thing.

Last edited by SugarBooger; 07-02-2011 at 10:04 AM.
SugarBooger is offline   Reply With Quote