View Single Post
Old 07-22-2011, 12:22 PM   #4
jessca06
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: does my BFing toddler need a Vitamin D supplement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslaRose View Post
I'm in Tx too!

Was your toddler out in the sun much before it got so hot? Like, an average of 10 minutes a day at least? If so, then her vit D levels are probably fine even though you get out less. Vit D is fat soluble and stays in the body a while. If you focus on letting her play by an open window for a little while each day, she should absorb what she needs to keep her levels right.

If you decide to supplement, use D3. It's the most natural form and is absorbed well. Cod liver oil actually has naturally occurring D. You can buy it at most health food stores. I supplement my children with it in the winter, and *knock on wood* they haven't gotten sick with anything substantial in five years.
We were taking walks most days before it got really hot. I was just realizing that we hadn't been outside much lately and worried that she wasn't getting enough vitamin D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by somamama View Post
Vitamin D doesn't come through windows because they're designed to block out UV light. She's probably getting enough right now just going to the car and back but you can also supplement yourself with 5000 units and she will get it through your breastmilk. Also remember when you're trying to get it from the sun that it takes 48 hours to fully absorb AND it washes off with soap.
Thank you both for the information.
jessca06 is offline   Reply With Quote