View Single Post
Old 08-06-2011, 01:22 AM   #1
MamaCrunch
Registered Users

Unhappy Ammonia buildup/burn... what to change in my routine?

OK, been CDing both kids for a while now without an issue at all... lately we've been getting ammonia issues. It's gotten to the point now that my son is waking up screaming in the middle of the night with ammonia burn! He is starting to use underwear during the day besides naps, but night time is just bad! We use Purex free and clear and never had an issue... I did notice the cap is different now and I'm wondering if they changed something else?... We do a cold cycle with scant amount of detergent and some baking soda, hot cycle with normal amount of detergent and a little more baking soda, hot cycle with nothing... We have hard well water with a softener that makes it about neutral. I really don't know what to change, but I'm so frustrated at this point I've considered going back to disposables! (Which I REALLLY would HATE to do... I think I'd break down! ) but I sit here typing this at 3am knowing I have to be up at 7 because my son woke up screaming with another burn! Any ideas?? Tips? Tricks? SOMETHING??

Oh, we use mostly natural fibers, BGE's and Econobums/Flips for the most part, so it's not a MF issue. I tried to strip them and it seemed to help for a couple of days, but came right back. I am really thinking it's got to be something with the detergent, the issues started when we started using this new bottle... I don't know what to switch to though, I can't afford anything much more expensive and want something we can use on everything and not buy different detergents for every load.

Thanks in advance for your help!!
MamaCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote