View Single Post
Old 08-07-2011, 08:55 AM   #14
StrongMom
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Woman Centered C Sections

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esme&Quinnsmama View Post
If you request it, most hospitals well let you have LO in the recovery room with you.
A lot will, but not all. I was recently contacted by a L&D nurse who works at a hospital that won't allow mom to see little one until they are back in their normal room. However, I am interested in facilities that actually allow you to hold LO right after birth in the OR, not just recovery. There is a lot of growing evidence of how important this is for mom and baby. It helps baby regulate temperature, breathing, sugar levels more effectively by being placed immediately on chest. By doing this simple act a recent study found that it cut down on admissions to the nicu by at least half of term babies with no other previous indication of health issues.

It also helps establish a good breastfeeding relationship early. In fact, the World Health Organization recently came out with the recommendation that baby be breastfeed with an half an hour, not an hour which was previously suggested.

It also facilitates a deeper bond with mom and baby.

There is a great video about it on YouTube produced by a midwife, OB, and anesthesiologist http://youtu.be/m5RIcaK98Yg
StrongMom is offline   Reply With Quote