View Single Post
Old 08-08-2011, 11:43 PM   #50
mommy2clara
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Does anyone actually LIKE being a WOHM?

I'm a teacher, too. My daughter is 6 months old today, and I've been able to SAH with her except for 3 weeks between the end of my maternity leave and the end of the school year. Wednesday is my first day back, and at this point I'm really bummed. She's very dependent/attached to me. She won't take a bottle or sippy cup without a huge fight, so I feel like I'm abandoning her...she needs me to be there for her and I can't. Ugh.

I had a lot of fun with her over the summer. We hung out, went to organized activities, and I made friends with a few SAHMs. At this point, I do think being a SAHM would be right for me. I am in the camp who went to school for a long time to get a degree in a field I'm passionate about, though. My job is challenging and rewarding, and the pay is decent and so are the benefits. I also don't like the idea of having to depend on DH to make all the income. So no, I don't think I'd want to leave my job permanently. In a perfect world, I'd SAH this coming school year, and go back part time the year after that. Since that is not financially possible, we'll just have to adjust. Luckily, DD will either be home with DH (he has a couple part time jobs that are mostly evening/weekend, plus a home business) or with one of her grandmas, so I don't have to worry about finding reliable childcare. A couple times a week DH or my mom will bring her to me on my lunch break so I can nurse her, so that helps too. I have also intentionally habituated her to go to bed late and sleep late...that way I'll have plenty of time with her in the evenings. And of course I cannot complain about summer and holidays...I figured that once all that's counted in, I'll be a SAHM for about 1/4 of each year.

So in short, no, being a full time WOHM isn't my ideal, but I enjoy my job, we'll adjust, and I know we have a lot to be thankful for.

Last edited by mommy2clara; 08-08-2011 at 11:46 PM. Reason: typos, clarification
mommy2clara is offline   Reply With Quote