View Single Post
Old 06-30-2006, 01:13 PM   #9
negrapy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Splenda and Pregnancy???

From my organic chemistry classes in college when we looked at splenda, among other artifical sweetners, it is different becuase it isn't an artificial sweetner .... well I can explain the long way or the shorter version (less scientific) but the short version is that splenda is like those type of keys many people use for the their front door locks. It would fit in other doors but not turn to open and unlock the door.
Splenda has the same chemical composition (everything organic and inorganic has a chemical composition so don't get nervous becuase of the word chemical) as table sugar. Its made up of a 6 carbon hydro-carbon chain with single bonds and alcohol groups attached (OH which are oxygen and hydrogen) They can attached to the right or left side (this is really just how we name them, in real life the molecules are of course 3-d .. but for drawing purposes). In the case of sugar and splenda they are indentical except for one of the OH groups is reversed ... meaning its on the other side. I can't remember for the life of me right now which one but I think its on the carbon number 5 (that's what my husband is saying) I don't remember if in sugar it is on the right and in splenda on the left or vise-versa
The reason you can cook with it and that it tastes the same but that it doesn't cause your hypoglycemia (I feel ya there ) is that to your tongue its sugar but to the enzymes that need to break down the sugar for your body it use it... it doesn't fit. For the enzymes its like a lock and key ... so back to that key .... the key doesn't turn the lock, just like the enzymes can't unlock, or turn on so to say the splenda.
That's why your tongue thinks sugar and your body thinks .... never mind (i.e. doesn't afect your insulin)
I did look briefly at the website mentioned however I know there are many opinions by people on the web (look at this site for instance)
All doctors take an oath to help ... not that they always manage it but I would give them the benefit of the doubt.
Of course anything even water taken in high enough amount can be dangerous (in the case of water even life threatening) and even though we are talking about sugar, my I say politely that possibly a grain of salt would be appropriate to this discussion as well. You might consider some more reasearching before giving it up al together.
That said I did use it without problems during my pregnancy, which was a lot better than the alternative for me (if using sugar or honey etc) of suffering from larges decreases and increases of blood sugar, which have shown to be harmful to a developing baby.

p.s.
I am not a doctor. After finishing my premed classes I decided to go a different way. Your doctor or possibly a few well known biochemist would be of the most help in this situation. I know of one at the university of Texas Tech that studies extensively drugs, toxicans, food etc tranference through breastmilk ... it is possible that he studies prenatal transference as well.

Good luck!