Old 08-14-2011, 01:21 PM   #94
wonton
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Extended breastfeeding and the benefits

I just now read this!
I nursed my son past his 4th birthday. I didnt really limit when/times he could nurse. I didnt nurse him in public as an older toddler, but he rarely wanted to nurse if he was preoccupied w/enjoying life/playing.

After 18mos old he wasnt really "tied" to the boob anymore but did nurse on a regular basis.

I plan on nursing dd the same way, it was such an easy transition and great for comfort and sleep and nutrition.

I wasnt able to exclusively bf ds until he was two months old. He was induced early, was tiny and had a hard time nursing so I had to supplement w/expressed bm and formula (wasnt able to pump enough). I was able to get rid of all supplementation once he was stronger.
He does have a lot of (mostly environmental) allergies and asthma and I wonder if me having to introduce formula played a role in that, but I did what I had to.

I have been able to exclusively bf DD though and I am so happy about that.

I am so lucky that my dp doesnt make a big deal about extended bfing. My ds was nearly three when we met so he already knew this was the road wed be on.