View Single Post
Old 08-15-2011, 07:06 PM   #9
colin-mylilguy
Registered Users
seller

Re: How long will this last?

Dr. Sears has a good book on AP, BF and sleep. That's where I got the understanding that there is a window of opportunity when you get baby to sleep, that you can put them down. So, with LO, I nurse him to sleep, usually in the side-lying position in my bed. When he is asleep for about 10-15 minutes, no more than 20, I do the "pantley pull" (from the "no cry sleep solution" book by elizabeth pantley - SP?) and if LO closes his mouth and stays still, I gently roll out from under him and I gently roll him onto his tummy at the same time. If, when I pull out my nipple, he opens his mouth and roots, I put it back in and we nurse a little longer. When he's asleep after I roll out from under him, I bring my laptop into the room and I sit nearby, so that if he stirs a little before its been a full hour, I pat his bottom. I can usually count to 100 while patting him gently and he'll be back asleep. If he's been sleeping for at least an hour, and he starts to stir, I hop in bed and nurse him while his eyes are still shut and usually he'll sleep another hour or more.

At night, I let him nurse till he pops off. That's our cuddle time. He usually goes 1-2 hours, but I don't mind. I just read or do stuff on the computer while he nurses. Then I go hang with DH for an hour or so before we go to bed. Oh, and like the PP said, an earlier bedtime might really help. My LO goes down between 6:30 and 7:30 pm and that has helped him a lot. (and me!)

I agree with the PP, that you need to be able to have some time to yourself while he naps. I hold LO for an entire nap from time to time, when I can but if I can't, I put him down either in my bed or his. Its easier if he's in my bed, though, to nurse him back to sleep if that happens.

Good luck! I hope it gets easier for you. In the meantime, though, remember this is such a short time and it will pass so quickly.