View Single Post
Old 08-20-2011, 06:45 PM   #25
momtojande
Registered Users
Formerly: JonsMommy

My Mood:
Re: Kindgarten question - esp for moms with kids near cutoff date

DS missed the July 31st cut off by 2 days, and there is absolutely no getting around it. I had him in Montessori last year, so he just progressed at his own pace. This past week he started public Kindergarten; he can read, add & subtract, etc. I am putting my faith in the school -- which is a good school -- that they can do what they promised, which is meet his needs educationally. They say that every year, they have some Kindergarteners who can read and some who don't know their letters yet, and that they can handle it. I will see.

It was really frustrating last year, because he was so ready, and needed more of a challenge than preschool could give. However, down the line I don't think I'll regret it. Like a pp said, it could make a difference between being more of a follower (wanting to keep up with the older kids) and more of a leader. Plus, I do worry that an appropriately-active little boy who is a bit young could come across as more of a discipline problem than the same child a year older.
momtojande is offline   Reply With Quote