View Single Post
Old 08-29-2011, 10:46 PM   #6
ittybittycoconuts
Registered Users
seller

Re: How in the world do I get thin tortillas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2queens&1princenmyhouse View Post
I used bread flour this last time, but I used whole white wheat previously and had similar results.

Here is the recipe I used.

I have the NT cookbook, maybe I'll check it out. I've thought about soaking grains for quite some time, but just haven't planned ahead well enough to do it.
I see the problem. The milk and baking soda. Those are not traditional tortilla recipe ingredients. After your done cooking them put them in a gallon ziplock and let them steam and cool, theyll be more pliable and more like store bought.

Try this recipe:
2 cups (8 ounces) white whole wheat flour or traditional whole wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons (1-1/4 ounces) oil
2/3 cup (5-3/8 ounces) warm water

Combine the flour and salt in a medium mixing bowl or a food processor and mix together. I used the food processor and it worked great. Add the oil and mix into the flour thoroughly. Mix in the warm water (with the machine running, if youíre using a food processor). Depending on the flourís moisture content, you may need to use more or less water. Youíll want a dough thatís a bit softer than the ones you make with white flour; the whole wheat will absorb some of the liquid as it sits. Once youíve mxed the dough, let it sit, covered, for 20 minutes.

Turn out the dough onto a lightly floured surface, knead it a few times, and pat it into an even disk. Cut the dough (a pastry scraper works well for this) into 10 to 12 pieces, and roll each piece into a ball. Cover the balls and let them rest for 20 minutes.

Heat a heavy, ungreased griddle or skillet over medium-high heat. If you have a tortilla press, use it to flatten each ball. If youíre rolling out the tortillas by hand, take one of the balls and flatten it into a small disk. Using a floured rolling pin on a lightly floured work surface, roll the tortilla into a very thin, flat round about 6 to 8 inches in diameter. Toss a tortilla onto the griddle or skillet and let it heat on one side for about 1 minute, then use a spatula to lift and flip the tortilla to bake it on the other side, about 1 more minute.

While the first tortilla is baking, roll the second one. Transfer the baked tortilla to a plate and toss on the next tortilla. Repeat until all the tortillas are rolled and baked. You may stack the tortillas and cover them with a towel to keep them soft and warm until you use them
ittybittycoconuts is offline   Reply With Quote