View Single Post
Old 09-12-2011, 01:26 PM   #1
dandelion38942
Registered Users

Cramping while BF Toddler and Preterm Labor

I will cross post this in a few different communities because I'm not sure exactly which community might have more experience or knowledge of it, but I thought that the early arrivals community might have some knowledge. Here is my dilemma:

I am still nursing my 25 month old 3-4 times a day (upon waking, before nap, after nap and before bed).

Prior to my son turning 2 we only used spermicide as protection, then once he turned 2 we started getting a little willy-nilly with protection saying "if it happens, it happens since we had always said we would try for #2 when our first turned 2. However, I was putting off TTC since I still have 20 lbs that I'm desperately trying to loose first.

My last period started August 20th, I had discharges commonly associated with my ovulation on day 15 of my cycle. My husband and I made love several times on days 15 and 16 of my cycle (just for fun, not because we were TTC).

On about day 18 or so I started to feel very light menstrual cramps. These cramps come and go, but intensify while nursing my son without fail. During most of my first trimester with my first child I felt these same exact light menstrual cramps constantly, it was freaky, I felt like I was constantly on the verge of loosing him. It is now day 24 of my cycle and I am still feeling unmistakable light cramping that intensifies while nursing.

I think I have a very strong chance of being pregnant. I'm a little bit concerned about the intensified cramping during bfing. Just about every piece of credible information I have read says "bfing doesn't seem to cause preterm labor of mc". Kellymom was very helpful on this. My concern is that I went into preterm labor with my first at 33 weeks. They were able to stop it, but only for a week. At 34 weeks my water broke and out he came. So, the oxytocin receptive cells in my uterus during my first pregnancy may have been too numerous for that stage of pregnancy. My cervix seemed to be strong and I was well hydrated, though I know there could have been any number of reasons I went into preterm labor. I feel like my body might be a little defective and that I shouldn't bf while pregnant, but I really really really want to let my first self wean (admittedly because he loves his "booboo", weaning is hard work and he's not a very good drinker so bfing helps him get some extra fluids).

Anyone else out there with similar experience or more knowledge? If I am pregnant I want to do all I can to stay that way and really want to avoid another NICU stay and worry about physical and developmental delays. Thanks in advance .
Domestic goddess wannabe married to her college sweetheart (9/02), SAHM to wheel addicted Luc (7/09), natural birthin, midwife lovin, ExtBF , partial , organic babyfood makin, select./delayed vaxin, BW, ExtRF, regrets circin, preemie birthin, future homeschooler, prefold, God fearin
dandelion38942 is offline   Reply With Quote