Servant4Christ
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Homemade Cloth-Diaper Laundry Detergent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladyinwaiting72 View Post
I make my own too but have been using Dr not Dawn. I know it's known to cause buildup over time. Right now just my Microfiber towels and my BG 3.0 AIOs are smelling weird.....also my Zorb2 inserts smell off. Is this buildup? Or Ammonia? How do I tell? Just started CD'ing this summer.

How would one strip? Just dawn hot water n lots of rinses????

My GroVia soakers and cotton prefolds are fine.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum App
Dr? I haven't heard of this brand.
I use Dawn specifically because it's used when stripping so I know it's safe. Microfiber is always tougher to clean and keep buildup away. I used microfiber when ds was itty bitty but found he's allergic so we do not use it anymore.

To strip: wash in hot water with Dawn and a little bleach. Since I started using my recipe (3 or 4 months, now) I haven't had to strip my diapers due to buildup yet. I've only stripped them once and it was recently, bc ds had a yeast infection from something he ate...gerber babyfood bananas w/ STRAWBERRIES!

As for ammonia: that's a very distinct smell! Think about cat pee smell... something like that. Or even the smell of pee diapers in the pail for more than a couple of days..... it's THAT distinct.

If you notice your diapers smell a little musty after washing like "wet dog" then you didn't use enough detergent. This can lead to baby getting a bacterial infection or yeast infection.

Buildup isn't always as easily noticable, though... suddenly your diapers don't absorb as much or as well and you get more leaks even though the soaker portion isn't saturated.

Hope this info helps.

Last edited by Servant4Christ; 09-14-2011 at 09:52 AM.
Servant4Christ is offline   Reply With Quote