View Single Post
Old 09-15-2011, 09:14 AM   #10
aept
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by court3189
Before doing anything else, I'd find a lactation consultant and do a couple feed/weigh to see how much he's getting approximately per feeding. The lactation consultant can also check him for a tongue tie as pp suggested.

Formula, might not be your easy fix. My DD has been dx'd as failure to thrive since she was a month or so old. She's never breastfed (long story...), so has been on pumped breastmilk. I share this-as feeding via bottle doesn't necessarily fix the issue.

Did your pediatrician make a referral to anyone else-for example GI or cardiology, to rule out possible issues that can present as poor weight gain?

Just my 2cents..
This sounds like great advice. I would tend to think there is something going on with the baby. You have already nursed a baby who gained appropriately, so I am
assuming it is probably not an issue from you.
My third son had trouble gaining and did not get back up to birth weight until 5 weeks. However, my pedi knew I had exclusively nursed my first two and they gained really well. We (me, doc, LC) eventually concluded my third son did not have an effective latch due to high palate. No "fix" for that, just have to wait for him to grow. Because of my "successful history" I think my pedi was more patient and did not even mention formula. (I will add that my baby had adequate pees, barely adequate poops, and was at least getting enough to pretty much maintain, just not grow. He was not considered FTT.) I do know how horrible it feels to see your baby not gain or lose weight. I bawled at several weigh-ins, right there at the Dr's office -me, the "experienced" mama of 3.
Of course, a baby who doesn't nurse well will cause you to have a drop in your supply as the nursing relationship is supply and demand. I did temporarily pump and then give that extra milk via a tiny cup or by bottle. We had a "nurse-in" weekend where I did little else but rest, nurse, and pump, and eat oatmeal and drink lactation tea and that really brought my supply back up. Once my son grew he nursed better and we were able to gradually go back to just nursing alone and he is gaining ok now. Good thing, because pumping (or manually expressing) and then feeding that expressed milk after you have already nursed takes time! Time you may not have with other children at home! But - I definitely feel the extra time I spent was well worth it to maintain and improve my nursing relationship with my third ds.
Good luck! I hope you get to the bottom of things soon.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
aept is offline   Reply With Quote