View Single Post
Old 10-09-2011, 09:08 PM   #10
Stefibeth
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Tell me about charting to avoid

I first utlized FAM for 8 out of our 10 cycles TTC. I went back on BCPs after I had DS because we just weren't really sure what we wanted to do, but we definitely knew that we didn't want another baby less than 1 year after our first! Welcoming your first baby is just such a crazy time and so many sleepless nights, etc. and I wasn't ready to take on the responsibility of charting to avoid. About a month before DS's first birthday we decided that we were willing to be happy with any "surprise" pregnancy and started charting to avoid. That was January 2011 and here we are still going strong with charting to avoid as our only method of BC. I absolutely love it for so many reasons! Now. I don't know if I would have had the confidence to just jump right in to it the way we did if I hadn't used it for so many cycles TTC. I was already really familiar with the process and that sort of thing. We never used a backup form of BC although the first 2-3 cycles I was VERY careful with my possible fertile window JIC. But the good thing is, if you want to ease into it and get used to the process then you can just use a backup form of BC like condoms for as long as it takes you to feel comfortable with it. I highly recommend it although you do have to be diligent and responsible about it. Yes, there is room for human error, but honestly, only if you don't do your part (like observe your CM or take your temp everyday). If you do those two things (and/or observe your cervical position) there really isn't much room for error if you're listening to what your body has to say. It's really not a big deal, I "observe" my CM any time I use the rest room. It just happens automatically now. And it takes about 30 seconds to stick a thermometer in my mouth in the morning and note what it reads. It takes some getting used to to make these things routine, but it happens really quickly. Give it a few weeks and it all becomes second nature. Certainly once you get through a cycle or two you'll be feeling like a pro!